Friday, June 20, 2014

Since we have to wait another year for Game of Thrones... (Warning: Spoilers!)

Was season 4 of Game of Thrones spectacular or what? The Battle of Castle Black in episode 9 was probably the most tense TV experience I've ever had because I was genuinely thinking that this could very well be the end for Jon or Sam. I don't think I've ever been as heartbroken by a duel as I was after Prince Oberyn vs. The Mountain, except for maybe Rufio vs. Captain Hook. 

It's a shame that we have to wait a whole year before we find out what happens to the surviving characters in this universe. But since we have nothing much to do except to mull over the season that has been, here are some of my thoughts.


1) Lady Olenna was a BABE

British actress Diana Rigg

Lady Olenna quickly became a fan favourite because she was one of those whip-smart grannies who just didn't give a shit anymore and told it like it was. In a society where everybody is scheming and lying, she seemed like the only honest one (and not in a dumb and naive Ned Starkish way). Moreover, this past season, she proved to be the one with the ovaries to do a certain deed that everybody, including God, wanted to do but lacked the courage or intelligence to do so. MC, if you're reading this, you still owe me that drink!

But did you know that she was a total heartbreaker back in her day? I mean, sure, she's still an adorable granny now and still breaks hearts, albeit mainly by puncturing fragile egos with an acid-tipped verbal stabbing.

Take this little monologue of hers from episode 4:

"So the evening before Luther was to propose to my sister, I got lost on my way back from my embroidery lesson and happened upon his chamber. How absent-minded of me. The following morning, Luther never made it down the stairs to propose to my sister because the boy couldn't bloody walk. And once he could, the only thing he wanted was what I'd given him the night before. I was good. I was very very good."

Yes, Lady Olenna. I very very believe you.


2) Maybe Tywin Lannister just needed more freedom to express himself

I wonder if his face aches from perpetual grimacing


I wouldn't exactly call Tywin a joyless human being because he seems to be very happy when extinguishing other people's bloodlines. But that's not a very pleasant life, is it? I don't think you could say that anybody loved him, nor that he loved anyone. His children's attitudes toward him range from severe dislike to outright murderous. Generally speaking, if you meet your demise by being shot by your own son while on the toilet, you probably haven't led the most fulfilling life.

So why was Tywin such a miserable man? Perhaps it was because he felt constantly repressed by the strict and backwards social mores of King's Landing and Casterly Rock?

The evidence is below:


Okay, he doesn't look too pleased to be dressed in a leopard print top and red leather skirt. But maybe he just has Resting Bitch Face Syndrome. Maybe he's actually feeling very happy and liberated inside. Perhaps Tywin Lannister would've been better off having been born in Dorne.


3) Westeros needs campaign finance reform
Where's John McCain when you need him?
Big shady ultra-wealthy organization is unhappy with a certain person in power. Organization decides to get rid of the current office-holder, even if he is doing a decent job and/or popular with his constituents. Organization empowers a small-but-dedicated group of extremists by giving them endless cash to viciously oust the office-holder out of power.

Astroturfed Tea Party primary challenge? Or Iron Bank of Braavos?

It seems rather unfair that some foreign financial institution can wreak havoc on Westerosi politics. Therefore, I think there needs to be a campaign finance reform movement in King's Landing that would limit the Iron Bank to contributing no more than 2600 oz. of gold to any single violent usurper rebellion.

After all, a wise man once said that Whoever-Has-The-Dragons-Wins Monarchy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.


No comments :

Post a Comment

UA-49948643-1