Thursday, August 16, 2012

Magic Rainbow Fountain, Spicy Braised Galbi, and Crazy Horse

With only about a week left in Korea for me, I've been making sure to enjoy all the "To Do" things on my list that are still unchecked.

So this past week, I decided to check out the Magic Rainbow Fountain at Banpo Bridge. Unfortunately, this is not some Disneyland-esque ride. Fortunately, it's still a cool lights-and-water show. Think of the choreographed fountains at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, except off the side of the bridge.

Banpo Bridge on the left, and Namsan Tower (or Seoul Tower) on the right

Here come the waterworks





On a hot night like this one, it's awfully tempting to take an impromptu shower

Thankfully, the weather has cooled down from the record highs of the first half of August. So to celebrate, I wanted to eat some spicy braised galbi. I went to a place in Sinsa called 매운갈비야, which translates to "It's Spicy Galbi".

How spicy is the braised galbi? Well, I had the most basic level of spiciness, and it still caused me to sweat a little. I can't even imagine what Level 4 would taste like!

The front of the establishment

The main dish, which costs 26 000 won ($24) for two people


Lastly, I checked out a jazz club on Garosugil (a trendy boulevard filled with cafes and clothing boutiques) called Crazy Horse. I had gone to a jazz club in Korea before (Club Palm in Hongdae), but it wasn't an entirely pleasant experience as the sax player was too loud and there were too many smokers.

However, I really enjoyed Crazy Horse. I'm not a good judge of jazz music, but the music I heard was enjoyable to listen to, and the ambience of the place was good. Only downside was that the prices were a little expensive (cheapest beer is 8000 won), but it's on Garosugil, so that's to be expected.

The story of how Heineken met Grapefruit Juice

The band

I guess they really don't want fat people in the club...

Garosugil



No comments :

Post a Comment

UA-49948643-1