Monday, June 24, 2013

My First Korean Rock Concert Experience: Monni (몽니)


A couple of weeks ago, I met up with my cousin to catch up after not having seen her since last summer. She had tickets to go see this band called Monni, so we went to go see them perform at the Samsung Blue Square Performance Hall. Not being familiar with Korean rock at all, I had never heard of this band before, but I'm very glad that we were able to see them because they were really good. Very pretty and melodic rock, with a good mix of fast and slow numbers. The lead singer, Kim Shin Ee, is an excellent vocalist who also regularly stars in musicals as well.

I don't think the rock scene is very big in Korea, though my brother told me about some very talented bands in Hongdae. He's a total metalhead, so he wouldn't have said that if the bands were just pretty boy posers like CN Blue or something (no offense to any CN Blue fans). I definitely want to check out some of those groups out one of these weekends.

When most people think of Korean music, they almost always think of K-pop or PSY. There's nothing wrong with that, but there's a lot of other music out there that deserves to be listened to as well.

Here are some of Monni's songs that I am listening to now.

"Diary (일기)"



"Rain Shower (소나기)"



"A Boy To Be A Man (소년이 어른이 되어)"


No comments :

Post a Comment

UA-49948643-1